Here I am at 37 weeks and five days. I’m starting to feel tired of being pregnant. Actually I’m just tired in general. Today and yesterday I was able to enjoy long naps, thanks to Michael being home. I’m also tired of having to pee every five minutes and eat every two hours. I’m still able to exercise though my ligaments and joints aren’t able to handle my usual workout. Honestly I don’t have much to complain about other than to say, “I’m ready!” I’ve got everything done on my check list, Michael has completed his to-do list, the nursery is painted (though the little guy will be staying with us in our room), and we’ve even agreed on a name!
Last weekend in the midst of the incredibly high heat and humidity we all decided it was time to splurge on some ice cream. So after dinner we jumped in the car and drove down to the local ice cream shoppe. Generally I can’t tolerate ice cream (thanks to my intolerance of milk) but every once in a while I just have to have some. At this particular shoppe they have a flavor called “Darth Chocolate”, which is essentially super dark chocolate with no sugar. It’s not for everyone, but I LOVE it! Caroline wasn’t too sure if she wanted any ice cream, especially when she saw it displayed in a cone. I told her to stick her tongue out and lick it and well as you can see by the picture, she changed her mind.
I know it’s been a long time. Way too long! I’ve been too busy with my other blog and then of course life with Caroline kept me busier than I had anticipated!
So what’s new?
Well, Caroline is growing super fast and keeping us on the constant go. She’s currently 20 months and will soon be a big sister. That’s right! I’m 37 weeks at the moment. So far this pregnancy has been so much easier than with Caroline. I’m not sure if Caroline has figured out what’s inside my belly but she’s certainly fascinated by it!
In the meantime we’ve been busy trying to get everything in order before the little one arrives. We’ve got a full fledged garden in the works. All our rooms have been repainted, including an amazing mural in the baby’s room. Michael now has an official workshop in the basement. After two years our “new” home is staring to feel lived in as we begin to decorate and add our personal touches here and there.
Next week we’ll be welcoming Grammy for an extended stay, as she comes up to help us during our transition from at threesome to a foursome. We can hardly wait to have her!
Another month has come and gone and boy are we moving along real quick! Caroline has officially began crawling, standing up, climbing into and onto everything, and learning how to wave. She’s keeping us busy! Today she took her first steps with us holding her hands.
For more photos click here.
Last weekend Michael and I dedicated Caroline at our home church. The dedication took place on Father’s Day and we were blessed to be surrounded by our closest and dearest friends and family. After the dedication and church service we held a small party at our home in celebration of Caroline and of Cass for graduating.
A family photo opportunity before the dedication. It was a beautiful day!
Michael and I with Caroline making a promise before God, the congregation, and our family and friends that we will raise Caroline in a Christian home.
For more pictures click here.
It’s hard to believe that my little brother has graduated from college! We’re so proud of all his achievements. Last weekend we were blessed to see him receive his diploma from Mass Maritime Academy. After his graduation ceremony we all went over to a nearby restaurant to celebrate.
For more pictures click here.
Can’t believe our little lady is already crawling, feeding herself real food, talking, and chasing the doggies!
For more pictures click here.
In honor of Easter, the celebration of our Savior, I’d like to share a short Puritan prayer. Wishing everyone an Easter full of joy!
Let me learn by paradox that the way down is the way up, that to be low is to be high, that the broken heart is the healed heart, that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit, that the repenting soul is the victorious soul, that to have nothing is to possess all, that to bear the cross is to wear the crown, that to give is to receive, that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells, and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine; Let me find thy light in my darkness, thy life in my death, thy joy in my sorrow, thy grace in my sin, thy riches in my poverty, thy glory in my valley.
It really is amazing how fancy and complicated cloth diapers can become, that is if you’re not careful. Once you’ve decided what type of cloth you’d like to use, the next step is to choose accessories.
Here is a list of the main accessories.
- Covers – A diaper cover is anything that covers the diaper to keep moisture in. The main type of covers are plastic, nylon, fleece, wool, and polyester. I found choosing covers to be both fun and overwhelming. There are so many choices and designs. My personal recommendations are Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, Mommys Touch One Size, and Thirsties. I found that all three of these covers worked very well in that they covered the diaper (prefolds and fitted) very well as well as washed easily in the washing machine. My favorite is Mommys Touch, simply because I find them a bit softer to the touch and they can be worn through many sizes.
- Snappis – If you are going with the prefolds you might want to invest in a few of these. They are basically the “new” diaper pin. They’re super easy to use and really do hold the prefold very snug.
- Diaper pins – While I can’t vouch for diaper pins, simply because I haven’t used them yet, many prefold users swear by them. I have heard that are fantastic to use when the baby gets a bit older and is crawling around and such. Both the Snappis and diaper pins are cheap enough that it is certainly worth giving them both a try to see what works best for you.
- The Potty Pail – Trying to find a way to wash off those diapers before throwing them into the washing machine? Consider the Potty Pail System or even just the Potty Pail Sprayer. We have just the sprayer, which works amazing at rinsing off dirty diapers into the toilet. However, if I were to do it again, I would have purchased the entire system.
- Wipes – I found using cloth wipes is easier than disposable, plus they’re super cheap. There are many kinds of wipes but I just went with the basic cotton terry on one side and flannel on the other. My big complaint with using cloth wipes is that I have yet to discover an easy method of keeping them moisture and ready to go for changing time. We currently are using a diaper warmer which I like because it keeps the wipes moist, warm, and ready to go. However, it does take some prep work to roll the wipes and pour a wipe solution over them.
- Diaper Pail Liners – A diaper liner makes it easy to move the dirty diapers to the washing machine.
There are many other additional accessories that can be purchased and are extremely useful such as wet bags, wool covers, and diaper lotions. Wool covers, I found, to be amazing especially when it comes to nighttime diapering. I will write more on using cloth at night in another post.