Cloth Diapers and their accessiories – Part Three
It really is amazing how fancy and complicated cloth diapers can become, that is if you’re not careful. Once you’ve decided what type of cloth you’d like to use, the next step is to choose accessories.
Here is a list of the main accessories.
- Covers – A diaper cover is anything that covers the diaper to keep moisture in. The main type of covers are plastic, nylon, fleece, wool, and polyester. I found choosing covers to be both fun and overwhelming. There are so many choices and designs. My personal recommendations are Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, Mommys Touch One Size, and Thirsties. I found that all three of these covers worked very well in that they covered the diaper (prefolds and fitted) very well as well as washed easily in the washing machine. My favorite is Mommys Touch, simply because I find them a bit softer to the touch and they can be worn through many sizes.
- Snappis – If you are going with the prefolds you might want to invest in a few of these. They are basically the “new” diaper pin. They’re super easy to use and really do hold the prefold very snug.
- Diaper pins – While I can’t vouch for diaper pins, simply because I haven’t used them yet, many prefold users swear by them. I have heard that are fantastic to use when the baby gets a bit older and is crawling around and such. Both the Snappis and diaper pins are cheap enough that it is certainly worth giving them both a try to see what works best for you.
- The Potty Pail – Trying to find a way to wash off those diapers before throwing them into the washing machine? Consider the Potty Pail System or even just the Potty Pail Sprayer. We have just the sprayer, which works amazing at rinsing off dirty diapers into the toilet. However, if I were to do it again, I would have purchased the entire system.
- Wipes – I found using cloth wipes is easier than disposable, plus they’re super cheap. There are many kinds of wipes but I just went with the basic cotton terry on one side and flannel on the other. My big complaint with using cloth wipes is that I have yet to discover an easy method of keeping them moisture and ready to go for changing time. We currently are using a diaper warmer which I like because it keeps the wipes moist, warm, and ready to go. However, it does take some prep work to roll the wipes and pour a wipe solution over them.
- Diaper Pail Liners – A diaper liner makes it easy to move the dirty diapers to the washing machine.
There are many other additional accessories that can be purchased and are extremely useful such as wet bags, wool covers, and diaper lotions. Wool covers, I found, to be amazing especially when it comes to nighttime diapering. I will write more on using cloth at night in another post.