Why I love my cloth diapers – Part One
I LOVE my cloth diapers. Oh let me count the ways:
- They’re soft
- They’re 100% natural; no chemicals are used to make them
- They’re super easy to use
- They’re inexpensive compared to disposables
- They won’t be sitting in the dump in 500 years; although energy is used to wash them it’s a fraction of the energy needed to make disposables
- They can be used for subsquent children
- Cloth diapered children tend to potty-train earlier; the cloth tends to hold moisture closer to baby’s skin
But cloth diapers is certainly not for everyone. Here are a few things to consider:
- Does your baby have super sensitive skin? Statistically, babies that wear disposables are more prone to diaper rashes, compared to babies in cloth diapers.
- Do you have the time, space, and patience to run frequent washes? If you choose cloth, you’ll probably want to forgo a diaper service, they literally use tons and tons of toxic bleach, which is terrible for the environment and baby.
- Are finances a concern? As a general rule, you’ll save about 30 percent if you choose cloth over even bargain disposables. However, there are now so many kinds of cloth diapers available, that you can end up spending much more than you bargained for.
- Is water a tight commodity where you live? If so, cloth may not actually be the greenest option.
I will write more on the types of cloth diapers I have tried and what I find to be the most successful for us as a family.
For photo credit click here.